Sly J. Miles is my Baker Spotlight with this Sweet Potato Cornbread! ???????? Mashed sweet potato, fragrant spices, and rich buttermilk! Full recipe below.
1 medium sweet potato (about 1 lb.)
1.5 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar or molasses
1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Lemon Extract
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves (optional)
2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1/2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil for the skillet
1. Peel the sweet potato and cut it into one-inch cubes. Place the cubes in a pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil the potatoes until they’re tender and fall apart with pierced with a fork (about ten minutes). Drain the potatoes and set aside.
2. Coat the inside of a 10-inch cast iron skillet with oil. Place it in the oven and begin to preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well mixed.
4. Mash the drained sweet potatoes until fairly smooth. Transfer 1.5 cups of the mashed potatoes to a large bowl. Add the buttermilk and 2 Tbsp oil, and whisk until combined. Add the eggs and whisk until combined again.
5. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the bowl and add ALL dry ingredients. Stir the two together just until combined and no dry mix remains on the bottom of the bowl. It’s okay if the mixture is a little lumpy, just be sure not to over mix.
6. Carefully take the hot skillet out of the preheated oven and scoop the batter into it. Smooth the top out until it’s even, then return it to the oven. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until the center is puffed, the top is golden brown, and it’s slightly cracked around the edges. Remove from the oven, cut into eight pieces. Serve with butter or a drizzle of honey.