I would devour these Caramel Pecan Carrot Cupcakes by my #BakerSpotlight Marselle Dowell! 🙌🏾 Enjoy her FULL RECIPE for yourself!
Ingredients for the Cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup finely shredded carrots
1 small can, 8 ounce crushed pineapple, well-drained (or 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce)
1/2 cup pecans, chopped, toasted*
1/2 cups raisins, optional
Ingredients for the Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup caramel topping
1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped (toasted)
12 whole pecans, toasted
Directions for the Cake:
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
• In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well and add oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix well. Stir in carrots, pineapple, raisins, and nuts until combined.
• Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter. (I use atrigger ice cream scoop)
• Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
• Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Directions for the Frosting:
• With an electric mixer (hand or standing), cream butter, 2 1/2 cups sugar, vanilla, and salt together starting at a slow speed (takes about 2 minutes to come together). Continue to cream for a couple minutes until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese 2 ounces at a time and beat 2 more minutes (scrape down as needed). Add more powdered sugar if needed to thicken the frosting.
• Place frosting tip (2D or 1M) in a piping bag and fill with frosting. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. For lots of ruffles, hold the bag vertical. Squeeze out the frosting as you slowly move the bag straight up.
• Using a spoon, drizzle the caramel over the tops of the frosted cupcakes. • Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
To toast pecans: Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 7 minutes. Let cool completely before adding to batter.***The frosting is made with less sugar due to the sweet caramel you drizzle on top. You can add more powdered sugar if you want the frosting more stable.
To make this in CAKE FORM, double the cake ingredients (not frosting) and bake at 350 degrees F in a 9×13 inch pan for 50-60 minutes or two 9-inch round cake pans (greased and floured) for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. The 9×13 inch cake can cool in the pan but for the round pans, remove them onto a cooling rack after 20 minutes. Once cool, frost the top of the 9×13 inch pan or if making two 9-inch round pans place one cake on a platter, frost, top with the second cake and then frost the top and sides of the cake.