“Essie’s Cherry Almond Whip Appeal” by Renita McPherson is too pretty! FULL RECIPE. Become a Baker Spotlight like Renita at http://
• 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• ½ package of Godiva White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Instant Pudding Mix
• 1 tsp salt
• 1½ cups sugar
• 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
• 1 tsp Natural Vanilla Bean Paste (inside buttermilk)
*Lorann Gourmet preferred
• 1½ tsp Almond Bakery Emulsion (inside buttermilk) *Lorann Professional Kitchen preferred
Adjust the Almond according to your liking.
• 5 egg whites (room temperature)
• 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour 2 nine or eight inch round cake pans and line the bottom with parchment paper. (1 tbsp melted unsalted butter combined w/1 tbsp flour)
3. Combine flour, instant pudding mix, baking powder & salt.
4. Beat together the butter & sugar w/an electric mixer (paddle attachment). Beat well at med speed until light and fluffy
5. Lower mixer speed, alternate mixing in dry ingredients & buttermilk.
6. Medium mixer speed, in a separate bowl whip egg whites till still hard peaks form (when lifted the egg white will not droop or fall off whip attachment). Using a rubber spatula gently fold into flour mixture.
7. Divide batter into prepared cake pans.
8. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely. Or level in pans, remove/wrap and place in freezer until ready to frost.
***If you prefer the box method, choose Duncan Hines Classic White or Signature French Vanilla. Mix the Vanilla & Almond flavoring with the oil/water. Whip oil/water & eggs before adding mix (add instant pudding mix) ***
Ingredients for Silky Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
• 1 cup (unsalted butter/room temperature)
• 1 cup Hi-Ratio Shortening
• 2 lbs powdered sugar (sifted)
• *1 tbsp of Vanilla Bean Paste
• 1 tsp meringue powder (optional)
• *3-4 tbsp Coffee Mate Classic Vanilla Creamer (add more to achieve desired consistency) add a pinch of salt inside creamer for flavor
• *3-4 tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
*Combine liquids together
Directions for Frosting:
• Mix sugar, butter/shortening and meringue powder on medium speed until texture is a crumbled consistency
• Reduce mixer speed and add liquids mixed with a pinch of salt. Mix until smooth and creamy (desired consistency)
Ingredients for Cherry Glaze:
• 2 cups (fresh Cherries pitted & halved)
• ¾ cup sugar
• 1 cup water
• 2 tbsp water
• 2 tbsp cornstarch
• 1 tbsp Grenadine Syrup
• 1 tsp Vanilla extract (optional)
Directions for Glaze:
1. In a medium saucepan combine cup of water, sugar, cherries & Grenadine Syrup (Vanilla if using) and bring to a boil. Occasionally stir.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Lower mixer speed, alternate mixing in dry ingredients & buttermilk.
4. In a small jar mix the remaining 2 tbsp of water with cornstarch and shake well. You can also mix in a bowl and stir until combined.
5. Add cornstarch mixture to the simmering Cherries.
6. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
7. Remove from heat and allow glaze to cool. I put in a mason jar and place in the fridge.
***Glaze can be stored in the fridge up to 2 weeks. TRUST me it won’t last that long, it tastes too good. ***
Ingredients for Fresh Cherry Whip Cream:
• 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream (chilled)
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 3-4 tbsp Cherry Glaze
• Chilled bowl (I place my Kitchen Aid bowl/whip attachment in the freezer)
• 1 tsp Vanilla extract (optional)
Directions for Fresh Cherry Whip Cream:
Whip Heavy Whipping Cream & sugar on medium speed until frothy (about 1 minute). Increase speed to high mix in Cherry Glaze and whip for 2-3 minutes. You will have Whip Cream in no time.
*** Use the Whip Cream instead of frosting between the layers***
Half Rosette borders created with tip 1M and a Cake Comb for lines.
Very important! Store this cake in the fridge!!