I’m getting ready to celebrate the New Year with some homemade Black-Eyed Peas! Enjoy my personal recipe!
• 2 pounds dried black-eyed peas
• 12 cups Swanson chicken broth or Unsalted broth version
• 8 cubes Knorr chicken bouillon
• 1 pound Oscar Mayer bacon
• 1/2 cup Land O’Lakes salted butter or Unsalted butter version
• 2 large yellow onions, chopped
• 1 pound cooked ham, cut into bite-size pieces
• Morton Salt is Optional
• McCormick Spice Black pepper to taste
1. Rinse and place the peas in a large pot. Cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain and remove from pot.
2. Pour the chicken broth into the same large pot. Add the bouillon cubes and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the bouillon. Stir in the peas, reduce heat, and bring to a simmer.
3. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in the pan with the bacon grease; cook and stir the onions until they begin to turn brown at the edges, about 10 minutes. Stir the onions and cooking fat into the peas; add the crumbled bacon, ham, and salt is optional and pepper to taste. Simmer the peas over low heat for 8 hours, stirring every hour.